If time was fast-forwarded to 20 years into the future, how would you fare? Would you still be gainfully employed, in-the-know when it comes to cultural or technological developments, and an asset to society?
These are questions that would be difficult to answer, no doubt, unless you have already embarked on future-proofing yourself. Call it a whole new category of skill sets; not equipping yourself with them is no different from walking into a room blindfolded. Scary? You bet.
In need of answers ourselves, we’ve spoken to experts in some of today’s most important areas of life. Asia’s Best Female Chef (according to international culinary list-maker Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2016), Margarita Forés suggests you challenge yourself not just to cook the perfect poached egg, but serve an elegant go-to dish that impresses.
She adds, “Truffles and eggs are a classic combination. In this dish, I wanted to honour that while elevating flavours in a new and exciting way. Pair it with a glass of crisp Pinot Grigio.” Try this simple recipe this weekend!
Pappardelle with Salted Egg, Asparagus and Truffle Oil
200g fresh pappardelle pasta
100ml heavy cream
5ml truffle oil
15g asparagus spears, blanched until slightly tender
15g salted egg, chopped coarsely
Sea salt to season
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, add butter and heavy cream and cook till slightly thickened. Season and set aside.
2. Cook fresh pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
3. Drain and add cooked pasta to cream sauce. Mix well.
4. Twirl pappardelle onto the plate. Pour the cream sauce over the pasta, then top with salted egg and slivered asparagus spears.
5. Drizzle with truffle oil and serve immediately.