The ELLE team collectively sucked in our tummies when the five of the fittest women we’ve ever met entered the studio for our photoshoot (check it out in our October issue, coming soon on newsstands and Magzter.com!). We had the yogis: Jasmine Chong, an educator at sportswear label Lululemon; Liv Lo, who’s an instructor at the Yoga Movement when she’s not modelling; Jessica Sinclair, founder of IHA Yoga and Sara Wee, who instructs at IHA Yoga by day, and sings with local band 53A by night. Claire Jedrek stands out as a race car driver.
With so many fitness instructors and experts in the house, who better to ask about exercise and health than this bunch of ladies? Find out what they had to share here.
Jasmine Chong, 26, @jasmine_yoga
What are some yoga poses you can do while waiting for the MRT?
1. Shoulder stretch — this stretches out your shoulder’s deltoid muscles and provides relief after typing all day in the office.
2. Dancer's pose — tones the muscles of your legs and strengthens the ankle, knee and hip joint while bringing movement and mobility to the spine.
3. Butterfly pose — it’s a good stretch for the inner thighs, groins and knees, improving flexibility in the groin and hip region. This also help bowel movements and removes fatigue from long hours of standing and walking.
4. Lateral Arc Pose / Half Moon Pose — reduces fat in the waist region, stimulates sides of the body, gives lateral bending to the spine and improves function of the liver.
5. Warrior 3 — strengthens the legs, ankles, shoulders and back, tones the entire body, especially your abdomen. It also improves memory and concentration, and encourages better posture and energizes.
Claire Jedrek, 32, @clairejedrek
What are your top tricks to get exercising when you’re feeling lazy?
1. I find that it helps to start playing music for five to 10 minutes before you go for a workout. Something very explosive and high impact to lift your mood and head space so you stop focusing on the negative. I like listening to music with words because it feels like it’s going somewhere. Electronic is too repetitive for me.
2. Most people get very overwhelmed at the thought of going to work out. So it’s a good idea to break it up into 15-minute sessions. Just short bursts where you give it your all, and then it's done.
3. Doing something that tells your body that it’s part of a certain routine helps things. Like if you’re working out at home, sometimes just putting the TV on when you begin will make exercising easier. It’s about looking at the positive in what you do and integrating it into life.
Liv Lo, 30, @livvlo
What’s your fave meal to have post-workout?
Actually I don’t snack for at least an hour after I work out because I don’t want to bulk up. I don't know the theory behind weight gain but I personally feel you’ll be burning fuel when you’re still in exercise mode so you'll bulk up instead of slim down. After the hour, I give my body what it wants, but because I practice yoga and it helps your body and mind, the food I crave is usually healthy. When I do eat it’s normally something fresh and wholesome, like Thai or Vietnamese cuisine.
Jessica Sinclair,31 , @jessica.r.sinclair
What’s your favourite healthy snack?
I usually keep a stash of sugar-free homemade granola bars around. Filling and healthy, they hit the spot each time without piling on the pounds.
Sara Wee, 29, @sara53a
What are some of the best motivational workout tracks?
1. My Hero/Best Of You/All My Life/Monkey Wrench by The Foo Fighters. Because the Foo Fighters rock.
2. Fast In My Car/Emergency/Ain't It Fun/Now/Brick By Boring Brick/basically anything by Paramore. There's so much energy in their songs it's unreal.
3. Chop Suey by System Of A Down. It is a beautifully mental song and right where you're about to give up, it makes you go "AARGGGGGHHHH" and you end up finishing your workout.
4. Miracle" by Kimbra or Feel So Good by Jamiroquai. Anything that makes you want to dance like nobody's watching is always a good song to work out to.
5. Ariel by Take Two. Our homegrown boys really killed it with this one, it just makes me so happy whenever I hear it.
Catch more of our #ELLEGirlsOfNow in our October issue, coming soon to newsstands and Magzter.com!
For more on lifestyle, click here.