Matte lip: The look of the moment, bane to most people, and holy grail to others' OOTD looks… After triggering a social media frenzy, matte lipsticks are the latest range of products that have taken the beauty market by storm.
In an earlier story, I’ve shared my thoughts on the Kylie Lip Kit. But what if you are looking for a matte finish without that much staying power?
The original way to convert a lipstick into a matte one was to pat on matte eye shadow or translucent loose powder over your lip, which might not always work, because it depends on the moisturising level of the lipstick. #NoSocialMediaYouDidNotStartTheMatteLips
Some have complained that using a super long-wearing matte finish liquid lipstick makes their lip look dry. Duh… A MATTE finish does make your lip look drier because there isn’t a glossy finish or sheen to soften the lines. It’s like saying we want to wear linen, but do not want it to crease.
Others have suggested using too many steps (which includes foundation, powder, lip liner, lipstick, another lighter lipstick, concealer to shape the lip, and maybe a finishing touch of powder) to pile on so much product that every lip crease is emphasised. #PleaseLehThinkLoh
Now, matte lipsticks are better formulated and more moisturising than what we had in the 90’s. Hydrating and moisture-binding ingredients are included, and different film formers are added in the newer matte lipsticks to create a muffled texture, which leaves the illusion of a non-shine lipstick that glides on like a soufflé.
To keep your lip comfortable and smooth, even after applying a matte lipstick, prepping the lip is important. Here’s what you should focus on:
- Do not use anything that is heavily fragranced, as it will irritate the lip and cause more flakiness and assumed “dryness”
- Hydrate the lip with an excellently formulated lip balm, which conditions and softens the skin
- Leave the lip conditioner on for at least 5 mins (best if overnight) to get maximum hydration on lips, leaving it less lined and flakey
How to prep your lip (featuring my sexy pout)
1. Clean lip with baby wipes (make sure there's no food, oil, or previous lipstick from last night left)
2. Swipe lip balm on lip
3. Not moisturised enough? Take a small dollop of lip balm and spread across the whole lip
4. Massage the balm in and make sure the whole lip is lightly softened with the first layer (this is to ensure that the skin texture is smoothened out)
5. Once the whole lip is lightly conditioned, take a generous amount of lip balm and slather a dense layer on and leave it on like a “lip mask” for 5 minutes (or overnight for best results)
7. Wipe everything off using a gentle, circular motion with a baby wipe to exfoliate and remove any excess dead skin, so skin is left comfortable and supple!
8. Massage a very thin layer of lip balm onto lips and blot excess away by “kissing” on clean tissue before lipstick application
Here are some of my recommended lip balms that really work!
Click on product name to shop: Lanolips 101 Ointment Multipurpose Superbalm, Badger Baby Balm, Mentholatum Lip Pure Lip Balm, First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Intensive Lip Balm, Bioderma Atoderm Lèvres Moisturising Stick for Lips, Esthelle & Thild Lip Balm Transparent Poppy Pearl
How to create a consistent matte lip colour
The trick is to first apply a thin layer across the whole lip. If the product slips too much, it means there is too much lip balm left on your lip. Blot the excess off before reapplying. Next, apply a second layer by sweeping on the lip colour in one direction, with a single stroke. Do not dab the lipstick on as it will create an inconsistent texture, which leaves the lipstick appearing patchy.
Tip: Dab a lighter lip colour over the lip centre to create a more 3D matte look.
Liquid lipsticks that appear matte but stay comfortable
Chanel Rouge Allure Ink, Clinique Pop Liquid Matte Lip Colour + Primer, L’Oreal Paris Color Riche L'Extraordinaire Mat Lacquer, Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream, Tarte Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint, Shu Uemura Tint-In Gelato
Lipsticks that go on comfortably with a matte finish
Burberry Lip Velvet, Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick, Moonshot Stick Extreme M, Sephora Collection Rouge Matte, Urban Decay Vice Lipstick Comfort Matte
Lipsticks that are truly matte in texture and finish with long staying power
MAC Retro Matte Lipstick, Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Gradation Lipstick
You can even create a matte tint of colour on the lips with Tarte LipSurgence™ Matte Lip Tint, if you do not want something with a high payoff.
There you have it! Now you know you can wear a matte lip by prepping your puckers before applying any lip product. Couple with a naturally filled-in brow and thin eyeliner, and you are ready to take the 90’s into 2016!
For more from Larry Yeo, check out #TuesdaysWithLarry: How To Get SS17's Hydrated, Supple Skin and #TuesdaysWithLarry: How To Pull Off A Makeup Glow.