1. What was your creative process in developing the Christopher Kane for Nars Collection? Was it similar to creating a seasonal collection?
I wanted the collection to reflect key signatures from Christopher Kane and therefore based the color palette on iconic artifacts brought together from our past collections. The Nars collection was more retrospective; celebrating the history of the brand from past to present day. We wanted it to be a timeless representation of the brand, and not limited to a particular season.
2. We’ve noticed that neon is woven throughout this beauty collection. Why was it important for you to include this style element?
Neon is a huge part of the Christopher Kane identity, so much so that it has become a neutral. In order to truly express the nature of the brand, there was no question that it had to be an integral part of this beauty collection. I’ve worked neon into the collection in such a way that it complements the face while still communicating the bold neon impact. It was very important that we make the products wearable, for example the lip glosses in neon shades – you can see they are brightly colored in their glass bottles, then once on the lips they have a high translucent shine with a subtle neon stain. I wanted a harmonious balance between the bold and beauty.
3. Do you have a go-to inspiration source, something that inspires you again and again?
I have always worked on instinct and with what surrounds me on a daily basis. I have never searched for inspiration, as I don't feel this works, I like for inspiration to find me – it’s a very natural and personal thing.
4. How has your upbringing contributed to your artistic creativity?
The landscape of my childhood and my upbringing have certainly had an influence on my work. I love that I can call on certain characters from my childhood as a source of inspiration, but most importantly, it is the strong work ethic which was instilled in me by my family from a very young age that I am grateful for. I was raised knowing that in order to succeed you have to work hard and fight for what you want and believe in.
5. How has the Christopher Kane brand evolved over the past few years? Where do you see the brand in the next five years?
The brand has grown so much over the last years, most significantly since we partnered with Kering. There is still a lot of work to be done but we are working hard to achieve these goals and are certainly on the right path and with the right partners. Kering has been such an enormous support to us and now with the opening of our first-ever store in London, it is such an exciting and huge step for both the brand and me personally.